Monday, February 8, 2016

Music Monday - The Killing Moon

A huge part of my creative process is listening to music. Either as a way to get me into the mood of a scene that I'm writing or as inspiration for certain characters and storylines. There have been many times when I've heard a song and thought, "Oh, that's definitely a Grady song." or even heard certain lyrics that sparked an idea for where I want a plot point to go.

So, I thought it would be fun to include a 'Music Monday' feature here to share some of the songs that have had a lot of influence in my stories or the creation of certain characters.

The first song I'd like to share is 'The Killing Moon' by Echo & The Bunnymen. I'm aware this song has actually influenced a lot of great stories/films (most notably, 'Donnie Darko') and it was most assuredly a huge inspiration for me. The mood of the song sets a great tone and the lyrics speak for themselves. It's also the most obvious of my inspirations as it's actually referenced in a subtle way in 'ROAM'.

This song spoke to me for two reasons. One: The idea of Ethan facing his destiny and, Two: The depth of emotion in the vocals, I feel, matches Ethan's emotions as he struggles with who he is and the way that Grady makes him feel.

I love this song so much. It's definitely one of my favorite 80's tunes and I hope you enjoy it as well!

Thanks for reading!

~ Dez

No comments:

Post a Comment