Thursday, March 2, 2017

Meet My Characters: Benny the Werehuahua


In this week's "Meet My Characters" blog linkup, I'm going to give you a little more insight into a ROAM fan favorite.

Benny, the Werehuahua



Benny is a staple in the ROAM series and such a fun character.  I feel his enthusiasm really jumps off the page.  Most readers tell me that he's their favorite (Beside those who have fallen for Dacey, of course. haha).

Technically, Benny would be a "reverse" Werehuahua.  Yes, it's exactly as it sounds.  He began life as a chihuahua, found himself cursed, and now becomes a human every day and reverts back to his natural form every night (No full moon necessary.).

For being a cursed creature, Benny is actually extremely positive and joyful.  I think he views his condition as more of a blessing than a curse and is actually kind of worried of it ever breaking.

I've had Benny's character in my back pocket for some time.  Originally, he was a silly little thing that I created for a Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG (Throwback Thursday, much?) over a decade ago and I always knew that I wanted to use him in an original story.  He finally found a forever home in ROAM. (Fun Fact:  He and an early version of Ethan Roam both came from that RPG.  They met when Ethan walked in on a guy [Benny] drinking out of a toilet.  haha)

In the series, he becomes both Dr. Grady Hunter's pet and employee (depending on his physical state).  He befriends Ethan and considers himself a loyal protector of his small misfit family.  Unless food is involved.  Then it's every man(dog) for himself.

(Ethan & Benny illustration by Whimsy and Noir)

Where does he go from here?

Benny will be traveling soon.  You'll have to read HUNTER for more clarity on that.  :)


Thanks for reading!  Also, a quick update:
I now have an official website and will soon be importing my blog.  I'll be sure to let you all know when it's up and running over there.

-Dez ☿

4 comments:

  1. Awwww Benny 💜
    He really is such a sweetheart. And it was fun drawing him, of course 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool to learn what inspired you & how you developed all of your awesome characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's fun to share their origins and also to see a quick retrospective of how far they've come.

      Delete